Speeding Ticket in Johnson County Kansas? What Do I Do?

​Okay. You got a speeding ticket in Johnson County Kansas. That means the ticket was written either by the Johnson County Sheriff or the Kansas Highway Patrol. Those are the only two agencies who write tickets for the Johnson County District Court. The top of the tickets look like this:

Johnson County Ticket Issued my Kansas Highway Patrol

So what are your options?

1. Pay the ticket. You can go online to the Johnson County Court Website (http://www.jococourts.org/); enter the ticket number and then pay the fine. You can also pay the fine at the ticket window at Court or on the court date itself.

If you are a Kansas driver, this will result in an infraction being placed on your record. If you are a Missouri driver, this means three points will go on your record.

2. Apply for diversion. The District Attorney of Johnson County has a very informative website about their diversion program. http://da.jocogov.org/traffic-diversion

If you fall in the guidelines (no speeding over 20; no Commercial Drivers License), then you will most likely qualify for the Diversion. You can apply in person, via mail or at Court. I am going to walk you through the In Person Diversion.

First go to Johnson County District Court. They have the absolute worst metal detectors that go off like crazy (I swear I could walk through nude & it would still beep).

Johnson County District Court

​After you pass through the gauntlet of the metal detectors, take the elevators to the fourth floor. Directly off the elevators, you will see the entrance to the District Attorney’s office.

Johnson County District Attorney Office where diversion is granted

At the window, you ask the Clerk to apply for diversion. He or she will check your ticket to see if you qualify. If you do, they will write up the diversion contract; have you sign and initial it and then send you to the Cashier to pay.

You then take the elevator to the 2nd floor and to the Cashier’s office (Northwest corner) where you pay the diversion fee. Voila – you are done and officially on diversion.

Aimee Gromowsky

Kansas City Traffic Lawyer

"You always want to keep speeding tickets off your record."

Now for a Free Review of Your Situation

What is Diversion?

I like to refer to Diversion as Super Secret Probation. Basically it is a six month period where you can’t get any new tickets. If you don’t get any new tickets, then the District Attorney will dismiss your case at the end of the Diversion period. It an excellent way to avoid having points and infractions on your record and avoid insurance increases.

I can do diversion on my own without an attorney?

Absolutely. BUT many people do hire me to do the above described process for them. Whether it’s because of time or language barrier, some people do desire a lawyer’s representation in the matter.

If you are interested in representation at Johnson County District Court for your speeding ticket in Johnson County, call or text me at 816-471-1114 or fill out the form below & I will get back to you with a quote on how I can help.

[ninja_form id=4]

Aimee Gromowsky

Aimee Gromowsky is formerly an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney for Jackson County and currently a private practice lawyer. Ms. Gromowsky handles thousands of cases in Kansas City, Missouri area courts and was honored with a “Best in Bar” award in 2007 and 2008 from the Kansas City Business Journal. As a Kansas City traffic lawyer, Aimee is determined to represent you in your case by providing exceptional legal counsel and service.