What is Diversion for a Kansas Speeding Ticket

What is Kansas Diversion?

Did you receive a ticket in Kansas and want to keep it off your record because of insurance and points? Read on for more information about the process. 

Does this ticket have to go on my record?

In Kansas, many time the State's Attorney (also known as the Prosecutor or District Attorney) may offer you a diversion to keep the ticket from appearing on your record. Alternatively you could also go to court for a trial. We will discuss both below.

What is Traffic Diversion?

Traffic diversion is a legal process where the State's Attorney agrees to not prosecute your ticket as long as you comply with certain terms. These terms will include paying money and not getting any new tickets. It also might mean a driving school, community service or other activities. 

How do I know if I am eligible for diversion?

  • Check Out the County Attorney's website. 

Most Kansas State's Attorney have a website with the diversion information available. You will likely have to fill out an application and pay an application fee. We have a list of clickable links below to many of the Kansas Courts to assist you.

If you pay your ticket, there is the possibility of points or infractions on your driving record plus car insurance increases.

  • Hire Me:

I represent people who have received tickets in Kansas. Some of my clients have found my process easier than going through it alone with the County Attorney. It is likely you will have the same outcome if you hire me or if you do it yourself. 

  • Fight the Ticket

You have the option to hire a lawyer or represent yourself if you feel you are not guilty. If you represent yourself, you will let the Court know you want a trial. The Judge may set it for that day or a different day. You will get a chance to ask the officer questions and then, if you want, you will be able to testify or tell your side of the story. The Judge usually gives a verdict right then and there. If you are found guilty, you have a right to appeal. If you are found not guilty, congratulations you are free to go.